Camp 2020 (Precamp Info)
Due to COVID-19, we converted to virtual camp for 2020, called Metabolic eCamp.
Metabolic Camp Experience
Due to COVID-19, we held a virtual camp for 2020, called Metabolic eCamp via Zoom. Similar to our in-person camp, the virtual camp offered research, education, and social support. Metabolic eCamp took place June 24-26, 2020, with approximately 30 campers and 20 staff.
2020 Campers can login below to access eCamp materials. Thank you again for joining us!
The camp program is comprised of:
- Nutrition Counseling Groups – Daily nutrition management counseling sessions conducted by medical faculty (registered dietitian) and an assistant (nutrition student)
- Large Group Classes – Topics may include nutrition management, genetics, maternal PKU, reproductive health, exercise, and others. Classes are taught in large group setting and in breakout groups
- Small Activity Groups – Themes may include cooking, medical food taste testing, personal wellness, art, and others. Activities are conducted in small group settings
- Social Support – Activities may include icebreakers, games, formal & informal discussions with presenters, staff, and fellow campers.
|11:30am-12:15pm EST||Activity Groups|
|12:20pm-12:45pm EST||Virtual Exhibit|
|12:50pm-1:40pm EST||Group Class|
|1:45pm-2:25pm EST||Nutrition Counseling Session|
|2:30pm-2:55pm EST||Virtual Exhibit|
|3:00pm-3:25pm EST||Group Class|
|3:30pm-4:00pm EST||Patient Story |
Daily Recap | Closing
Sample Cooking Class Recipes
- Recipe: Shallot Parsley Compound Butter
- Recipe: Garten Tomato Marinana Sauce
- Recipe: Chocolate Mint Avocado Pie with Vanilla Crust
- Recipe: Arugula Pesto
- Recipe: Pasta Mix & Match Maximizing Meals
There is a minimum of one medical faculty member and one assistant for every 5-7 campers. The faculty is involved in helping campers with daily classes, activities, and nutrition counseling sessions.
For clinical purposes, all campers are required:
- To provide a filter paper for plasma amino acids on both the first and sixth days of Camp.
In order to monitor diet compliance and to identify areas for improvement, each camper also is asked to:
- Complete 3-day diet records prior to Camp.
- Complete 3-day diet records during Camp.
These are standard patient management procedures and are not considered a part of the research process. To learn more about the option to participate in Camp research, please visit the About Metabolic Camp page.
We utilize financial support from grants and donations to offer a subsidized camper registration fee of $375 per person. For the virtual camp, the total cost is still $375 per person to pay for program planning and technology platform. A $100 nonrefundable deposit is required to hold a place for each camper. This fee is applied toward the total $375 camper registration fee. Partial and full scholarships are available based on financial need, and payment plans are available.
Cost of Camp: $375 per person
Registration Deadline: March 1, 2020
Registration is currently CLOSED, so we can care for our 2020 participants. Please check our website in November for details about Metabolic Camp 2021!