Metabolic Camp Experience
Metabolic Camp 2023 is an overnight camp that will take place June 19-24, 2023, with approximately 30-40 campers and 20 staff. All meals will be provided and supplemented with low-protein modified foods. Registered dietitians will be present to assist campers at each meal and throughout their stay.
- US and International campers attend each year.
- All campers are responsible for their own transportation to and from Atlanta.
During camp, all transportation is provided, including a shuttle service to and from the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Metabolic Camp 2023 will be held on the campus of Emory University. Campers will have access to campus facilities, such as the Woodruff Physical Education Center, Clairmont Campus Swimming Pool, and Lullwater Park.
Campers will stay in one of two Camp houses. Each of the Camp houses offers:
- Double occupancy rooms with 2 single beds
- Community bathrooms
- Lounge area
The camp program is comprised of:
- Nutrition Counseling Groups – Daily nutrition management counseling sessions conducted by medical faculty (registered dietitian) and an assistant (nutrition student).
- Large Group Classes – Topics may include nutrition management, genetics, maternal PKU, reproductive health, exercise, and others. Classes are taught in large group setting and in breakout groups.
- Small Activity Groups – Themes may include cooking, medical food taste testing, personal wellness, art, and others. Activities are conducted in small group settings.
- Social Support – Activities may include walking, swimming, cooperative sports, local field trips, shopping, movie night, dance party, closing dinner and awards ceremony.
|7:30 am||Rise and Shine|
|8:00 am||Morning Walk|
|9:30 am||Small Activity Groups|
|10:45 am||Large Group Class|
|1:00 pm||Large Group Class|
|2:30 pm||Social Activity|
|7:30 pm||Counseling Groups|
|8:30 pm||Social Activity|
|11:00 pm||Lights Out|
Sample Cooking Class Recipes
There will be one medical faculty member and one assistant for every 5-7 campers. The faculty will be involved in helping campers with daily activities.
For clinical purposes, all campers are required:
- To provide a filter paper for plasma amino acids on both the first and third days of the virtual camp.
In order to monitor diet compliance and to identify areas for improvement, each camper also is asked to:
- Complete 3-day diet records prior to Camp.
- Complete 3-day diet records during Camp.
These are standard patient management procedures and are not considered a part of the research process. To learn more about the option to participate in Camp research, please visit the About Metabolic Camp page.
Registration Deadline: April 30, 2023
Once you have registered (preferably online), you will receive a registration confirmation and a Camper Packet containing information and forms to complete in preparation for camp week. You will receive access to your camper packet online, unless requested otherwise.